Do you give it all away? Most of us have been taught that it is better to give than to receive. While giving can be a wonderful, heart-warming experience, giving too much of our time and energy can be detrimental to both our physical and emotional health, leading to anxiety, overwhelm and even burnout.
For a business owner this can have far worse ramifications and may keep you struggling to create a sustainable income and possibly even lead to losing your business.
Take this quick quiz to see if you give it all away.
- I force myself to do things even when I don’t have the energy to do them.
- I ignore my body’s “no” signals when I think someone’s needs are greater than mine.
- I feel obligated to answer the phone when it rings even when I’m in the middle of something that’s important to me.
- I hate conflict, so I’ll do whatever it takes to avoid it, which often means doing something I don’t want to do.
- The amount of time I spend listening to others far exceeds the amount of time that others really listen to me.
- I feel guilty if I don’t answer all the emails I receive.
- In order to provide luxuries for my family I work many more hours than I want to.
- I schedule my work time around my clients’ needs rather than around my own preferences.
- I can’t say no when people in need ask me for money.
- When I’m out to dinner with people who have less money than I do, I feel obligated to pick up the cheque.
- I volunteer for my place of worship or other organisations even if I don’t have the time.
- People won’t like me if I say no so I usually say yes and then often resent it.
- I’m the person everyone calls when they need help: a babysitter, chauffeur, or someone to fill in when they’ve made a commitment they can’t keep
- My children’s happiness comes before mine. I’ll do whatever it takes to make them happy.
- I have a hard time saying no to my partner because I want them to be happy, even if saying yes makes me unhappy.
- I feel selfish if I don’t share what I have with others.
If you answered true more often than false, you may want to find ways to create more balance in your life by getting clear on your values and priorities and learn more about boundary setting.
Please don’t hesitate to book a free money breakthrough discovery session with me if you’d like to explore more about how to have a healthy relationship with money.